WHEN: All day Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th September
WHERE: Watershed, Bristol
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 26th August
Film Hub South West & BFI NETWORK South West are holding an ANIMATION LAB at Encounters Film Festival 2019. The two day lab is for new and emerging animators with short animated projects that could be suitable for the BFI NETWORK Short Film Fund.
The lab will be a mixture of talks, panels, workshops and peer to peer work.
It is open to early career animators and animation teams, who have a short fiction project in development. Please note, you must be residing in South West England to be eligible to apply.
Animators and teams should be at the beginning of their careers, and the projects should be realistically achievable within the budget frame of the Short Film Fund (£15,000), or with a realistic finance plan to secure an additional amount of no more than £10,000 (total budget £25,000 – additional finance does not need to be secured before you apply for the lab but you should have a finance plan in place).
Applicants will need to demonstrate a body of work to support their application, but this can be non-professional, student or grass roots work.
Please note this lab is not suitable for more experienced animators or animation teams / companies who have higher budget short form projects.
-Not in full time education
-Based in South West England
-Animator or Animation teams (up to 2 people per project)
-Animators do not need to have a producer yet to apply to the lab
-Projects must be under 15 minutes – but shorter projects strongly encouraged
-Projects must be fiction and character led
– Smaller production companies can apply but the lab participants must include Animator and lead Producer
– Applicant MUST be available to attend both days of the lab
– Application deadline: 26 August
– Shortlisted Projects notified: Tuesday 10 September
– Lab dates: September Monday 23 + Tuesday 24, Bristol
– 2 day lab (FREE)
– Full passes to Encounters Film Festival 24 – 29 September
– Accommodation for 1 – 2 nights for animators unable to travel to Bristol for each day (teams staying on for the rest of Encounters Film Festival dates will need to arrange own accommodation for festival, festival discounts for accommodation may be available)
– Travel costs within the South West
– Lunch on both days of the lab
James Harrison from South West Silents reflects on what it takes to make a great film festival, from the sunny piazzas of Il Cinema Ritrovato to the Harbourside adventures of Bristol’s Cinema Rediscovered.
A new 16-19 Youth Engagement Scheme taking place during Autumn 2019 in partnership with Into Film